This year's pick up is on Saturday, May 12th. Just fill a bag or box with non-perishable food (no glass containers, and no expired food please!) and leave it out by your mailbox. When your mail is delivered, the food will be collected for families in need. Simple, easy, and almost zero effort required!
Just a few facts from their website:
- This is Stamp Out Hunger's 20th anniversary!
- It is the nation's largest single-day food drive.
- 2011 marked 8 consecutive years that over 70 million pounds of food were collected each year.
- 1 in 8 Americans is currently being served food via Feeding America efforts.
- As of 2011, 49 million Americans are facing hunger, including 16 million children.
I really love food. All of us in the food blogging community do. I think hunger is a great charity for our community to back. Every day we create and share healthy, filling meals, and it's easy to take that for granted. It's horrible to think that there are families out there that are unable to do the same.
Go to your pantries and find an extra box of pasta, an extra carton of oatmeal, a bag of rice, a bottle of salad dressing, or a can of mixed veggies. Any effort will help, no matter how small!